The health of our mouth and teeth cannot be over emphasized. It is the foundation for a good and confident smile. It is also a major factor in ones psycho social well being. Imagine a situation where you are unable to speak boldly for fear of having a bad mouth odour, or a situation where you can’t work effectively because of pain in your teeth. Do not forget that you can only enjoy your food if your mouth is healthy.
Note the following common dos and don’ts for a healthy mouth and beautiful smile, which won’t break your bank:
- Do brush your teeth twice daily (morning and last thing at night ) every day with a fluoride containing tooth paste. This is the number one secret to a healthy mouth.
- Do change your tooth brush regularly, preferably every 3 months
- Do visit your dentist regularly every 6 months
- Do floss after every meal
5. Do visit the dentist to clarify any problems you may have from your teeth or anywhere else in your mouth. Some common problems include bleeding gums, tooth ache, and sores in your mouth.
Do not do the following to ensure your mouth is healthy:
- Don’t over indulge in sticky and sugary foods. This is the number one culprit in tooth decay and resultant tooth ache
- Don’t consult untrained personnel when you have dental issues. They would most likely complicate the problem.
- Don’t wait too long before you present to the dental clinic for any complain you may have. Bear in mind that the earlier you go to the clinic to complain, the easier, less painful and most importantly, less expensive the solution would be.
4. Don’t convert your teeth into a crown cork opener for opening drinks and all such, or for cutting threads e.g. when sewing. You’re at the risk of fracturing your teeth.
5. Don’t use things like glass or other abrasives to clean your teeth in an effort to make them whiter. These wear out the teeth over time. Rather consult your dentist if you want whiter teeth.
Remember that the mouth is a gateway to the body. Let’s safeguard it.
Dr ‘Emeka Nwachukwu is a Fellow of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria and an Associate Fellow of the West African College of Surgeons. He is a Consultant Dental Surgeon with specialization in Restorative Dentistry. He currently provides general and specialist dental services at Skky Dental Services, Ikoyi. He is passionate about providing excellent dental services in a compassionate and pain free manner. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org