HB has always desired to work as a broadcaster. Having failed several interviews, his poor dental appearance has made his dream job become a wish. He consulted a dentist who reassured him with the recommendation of dental braces.
The power of a beautiful smile cannot be over emphasized. The dentists’ job is not complete until they leave a bold and beautiful smile on your face. Often times, people hide their smile because they don’t like how their teeth look. The result is low self-esteem, and inability to have that dazzling smile everyone loves. So what are dental braces and their role in enhancing one’s smile?
Dental braces are attachments placed on the teeth for a period of time. They apply forces to the scattered teeth to arrange them properly. Scientifically, scattered teeth are referred to as being in a state of malocclusion. Usually, braces are placed on teeth by specialist dentists known as orthodontists. Although in recent times, general dentists are undergoing training which enable them treat less complex cases requiring braces. Contrary to what is commonly assumed, braces are not only for children, adults as well can wear braces if they need to. There are different types of braces available. Different systems are also used to apply these braces.
Materials of dental braces include:
• Metallic ones which are obvious.
• Tooth colored ceramic or other materials that are not so obvious.
Frequently asked questions about braces include
• Are they painful to wear? The answer is No!
- How easy is it to brush the teeth with dental braces attached? Brushing the teeth with dental braces attached is the same as care of the teeth normally. The individual would just need to get used to feeling the braces against the teeth when brushing.
- Don’t food particles get buried within the braces? Yes, food particles can get stuck. This requires the individual to brush more often.
- How long does one have to wear dental braces? This usually depends to a large extent on the nature of corrections being done. Very mild cases can be rapidly corrected over a few months. More complex cases tend to take more time. However, whether short or long duration of use, the end result is always worth it.
After the braces had been removed, can the teeth become disarranged again? There could be a recurrence of the disarranged teeth after removal of dental braces. To prevent this, retainers are applied. Retainers are fixed or removable. Of course, fixed retainers are better because of the high compliance with them.
The important thing to note is that if you don’t like the look of your teeth or those of your kids, you don’t need to suffer in silence. You need to visit a dentist who would guide you through how you can improve your smile.
Dr ‘Emeka Nwachukwu is a Fellow of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria and an Associate Fellow of the West African College of Surgeons. He is a Consultant Dental Surgeon with specialization in Restorative Dentistry. He currently provides general and specialist dental services at Skky Dental Services, Ikoyi. He is passionate about providing excellent dental services in a compassionate and pain free manner. He can be reached at email@example.com